Monday, December 1, 2008

Beckenridge 471 IPA


Look: dark, light brown…. Wrap your head around that one.

 

Taste: Bitter, skunky initial taste that gives way to a semi-sweet barley flavor

 

Conclusion: I was expecting a sharp hoppy taste for an IPA from a micro brew, but this dint quite hit the mark. It has a slight skunky aroma when you bring the glass to your mouth, but the initial bitter helps get rid of that skunk. I wish the bitter hung around for a bit longer, but the barley sweetness sooths the taste buds, and sadly washes away the IPA flavor. Once the sweet washes away, you are left with the initial taste you started with… skunky! Oddly, the more I drank of this beer, the more I was able to tolerate it. That’s not to say it started to taste better, but I got a better idea of what the brewer was trying to accomplish.  I just wish that brewers were not afraid to make their IPAs sharp and hoppy, the way a good American IPA should be.

 

The sweetness and skunky flavor cost it big.

 

A 5 out of 10 

No comments: