Monday, December 1, 2008

Blue Frog Hefe Weizen


Look: Very cloudy and thick burnt orange color. So thick, you cant see through it when held up to light.

 

Taste: Sweet with a strong clove taste. Alas, it washes way all to quick with little to no after taste.

 

Conclusion: When I saw this beer on the shelf, with the big frog on the label, I had to pick it up. Those crafty brewers at Blue Frog did this bottle right as well. The frog is right side up, but the wording, and everything else is upside-down. This is done to get you to flip the bottle to mix up the unfiltered goodies in the bottle.

Here is the thing, every time I drink a hefe, I always expect a nice thick, some what bitter beer with a hearty feel. 9 out of 10 times, I am disappointed. This is one of those disappointing times.

            There is a strong clove flavor throughout, and a semi-sweet citrus sweetness, but its not overly sweet. It was very refreshing, and would go well with a BBQ. As readers of the blog know, we are not big fans of “fruiting the beer”, but I thought this beer needed something to kick up the taste. I quartered a lemon, squeezed in a slice, then dropped it in my pint. Low and behold, it made a world of a difference. The lemon cut through a lot of the clove and sweet flavor.

 

I give Blue Frog hefe a 7 out of 10

No comments: